Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Wine and Cookies and…. the porcelain god.                                                                                        

I might have a tad of OCD… so I’ve been told.  I haven’t firmly accepted it, but I have to admit there might be a sign.. or two.  I could argue that I’m still cool with the alphabetical order of the letters OCD, so there’s that!  In Sunday School this week, we discussed false idols.  I guess we can turn anything into an idol... a person, a job, a car, house, social standing, grandchildren (don’t go to meddlin’), money, pets… the list is endless.  Doesn’t mean these things are bad, but I'm just saying that sometimes our own idols are really hard to spot.

My name is Charlene.  I have an idol.  I came to terms with it Sunday afternoon.  It’s porcelain.  You see, I am obsessed with a clean toilet.  It makes me crazy to walk into a bathroom where the toilet isn’t clean.  I just want to bust out the bleach and go at it, all the while yelling at the people who don’t take a minute to clean up after themselves, even if they can’t hear me or don’t know it’s them.  I’m sure I need the 12-step program.  “Toilet Idolatry”: It has a name.  I should feel shame.  I’m convinced that failure to clean the toilet when you are done may cause a buildup that will surely throw the earth out of orbit and plunge us into the sun!

I read recently that in one of the deeply rural areas of India, the residents inaugurated a newly built toilet by performing a ritual worship ceremony.  They actually covered the seat with flowers and gave offerings of coconut and bananas to the God of toilets!  And they don’t want to use it because they don’t want to get it dirty!  I can relate to these people!  These people make perfect sense to me!
I was always taught that cleanliness is next to godliness and I know there were years, when my kids were littles, that I spent far more time playing than cleaning toilets.  I digress.  Today, I was curious where it actually says “Cleanliness is next to godliness” in the bible.  After all, being clean is a sign of spiritual goodness, right? So I looked and searched and the phrase isn’t actually even in the bible.  It was from a John Wesley sermon in 1778, BUT there’s a plethora of scriptures that support it.  My favorite is in Ecclesiastes 9:8, where Solomon advises that we should always keep our clothes and bodies clean and smelling well.  Hint. Hint.

And then there’s Mary and Martha.  That lesson should be Step 2 in my 12 step program.  I’m VERY Martha and I wanna be more Mary, but there’s that toilet thing that keeps getting in my way.  Somebody told me that a home should be clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.  I like the first half of that comment, really.  After all, 1 Corinthians 14:40 reminds us that “all things should be done decently and in order.”  And I’m convinced that includes cleaning toilets.  When I enter my heavenly home, I firmly believe that I will find the ultimate “House Beautiful”, where the vacuum runs itself and the mop glides along the floor without any assistance from me and the toilets clean themselves… and since my home should be an earthly picture of the heavenly pattern, I am motivated to keep a clean toilet!

But, for now, I’m going to try not to obsess over it to a point of anger… strive not to make it a porcelain god, struggle not to freak out when there’s a spot on it… endeavor not to make it an idol.   And while I fight vigorously and resist the urge to grab the bleach, I leave you with one of my favorite all time quotes:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment